2019 International Surf Festival: Wednesday, July 31st – Sunday, August 4th
Arguably the biggest week of the year in the South Bay, the International Surf Festival returns to Torrance Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach and Redondo Beach! This is a huge athletic competition, involving several events that spans 4 days and is non-stop entertainment. The Festival has events throughout the weekend revolving around the beach and ocean, including a Bodysurfing Championship, Surf Contest, Lifeguard Competition, Dory Races, Paddleboard Race and much more. However, the king of the contests is properly known as the Charlie Saikley Volleyball Tournament- or to anybody else, just the 6-Man.
On Friday August 2nd the “6-Man” Volleyball Tournament begins, which at one point in its history was a crazy, ultra-competitive sporting party that drew thousands of spectators, but today, the vibe of 6-Man is much more tempered. It’s still a blast if you can get off of work on Friday to watch or compete amongst dozens of teams over 2 days to take down what is a very honorable title here in the South Bay.
This year, the festival begins Wednesday, while the main event kicks off with the LA County Lifeguard Championships at 7:30 p.m. near the Hermosa Beach Pier on Friday, August 3rd. There will be several contests, including: L.A. County Lifeguard Rescue Demo, Six-Lifeguard Run Relay, Lifeguard Events and the Bud Stevenson Intracrew Medley Relay.
There will be surfing, bodysurfing, paddleboard and swimming races among many other activities as well, and this is one weekend you don’t want to miss! Check out the official site for more info! The official Schedule of Events is as follows:
Wednesday, July 31st
- 5:30 p.m. King Harbor Yacht Club — ISF Youth Sailing Event (Basin #3 King Harbor)
- 6:00 p.m. Los Angeles County Lifeguard Medal of Valor Dinner — Redondo Beach – Seaside Lagoon
Friday, August 2nd
- 9:00 a.m. Charlie Saikley Volleyball Tournament — Manhattan Beach Pier 6-Man / 6-Woman
- 7:30 p.m. LA County Lifeguard Championships — Hermosa Beach Pier: L.A. County Lifeguard Rescue Demo, Six-Mile Lifeguard Run Relay, Bud Stevenson Intracrew Medley Relay
Saturday, August 3rd
- 6:45 a.m. International Bodysurfing Championship — Manhattan Beach Pier (north side)
- 7:30 a.m. Surfing Championships — Manhattan Beach Pier (south side)
- 8:00 a.m. R-10 Paddleboard Race — Torrance Beach
- 8:00 a.m. Dick Fitzgerald Two-Mile Beach Run — Hermosa Beach Pier, North side
- 9:00 a.m. Charlie Saikley Volleyball Tournament — Manhattan Beach Pier 6-Man / 6-Woman (continues)
- 9:00 a.m. California Beach Volleyball – Hermosa Beach Pier
- 7:30 p.m. So Calif. Lifeguard Championships Events — Hermosa Beach Pier: U.S. Coast Guard Helicopter & L.A. County Lifeguard Rescue Demo, Junior Lifeguard Taplin, Lifeguard Beach Flags, Judge Taplin Three-Mile Lifeguard Medley Relay
Sunday, August 4th
- 7:30 a.m. Velzy-Stevens Pier-to-Pier Paddleboard Championship – Manhattan Beach Pier, North Side
- 7:30 a.m. Sand Castle Design Contest – Manhattan Beach Pier, South Side
- 9:00 a.m. California Beach Volleyball – Hermosa Beach Pier (continues)
- 9:00 a.m. Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier Swim — Hermosa Pier to Manhattan Pier, no Race Day entries, Contestants must pre-qualify
- 9:00 a.m. Jr. 6-Man Beach Volleyball Tournament (boys & girls 12-18) — Manhattan Beach Pier, South side
- 9:30 a.m. Paul Matthies Dory Race — Hermosa Pier (8:30 a.m. check-in)
- 1:00 p.m. South Bay Youth Swims and Paddles — North side, Hermosa Beach Pier
We want your pictures! Send us your best after the event to email@example.com See you out there!