Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair 2019 in the South Bay
Hometown Fair 2019 in Manhattan Beach
One of the best-kept secrets in the South Bay is coming soon! The 47th Annual Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair is being held on October 5-6, 2019. The popularity of the fair is explained by the fact that it attracts everyone under the sun, from families and art lovers, to free speech advocates and fair food fanatics, and those that would rather hang out in the South Bay’s favorite Beer Garden. It really is a hometown event and has managed to showcase its community feel every year in large part because this event is 100% put together and executed by a group of volunteers.
The Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair is unique and it unites the community as a good portion of profits go to local charities. Since parking in Manhattan Beach is an improbable equation, there will be free parking and free shuttles running all day from approximately 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Saturday and 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday from an off-site parking location at the southwest corner of Aviation and Space Park Dr. inside Northrup Grumman’s parking lot (see map).
Although not affiliated with Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair, many folks will test their mettle at the Manhattan Beach 10k in the morning and then cool down at the fair. The Manhattan Beach Hometown 10K Run weaves throughout Manhattan Beach and garners thousands of participants each year.
There will be all of the regular Fair activities, such as arts & craft booths, face painting and a ring toss or bean toss. Traditional competition that is free and easy takes place when different age groups compete in campy fun during an egg toss or water-balloon toss; the Diaper Derby is also good fun . A very different sideshow at the Hometown Fair, however, is the designated Free Speech area. Here, various non-profit or political can speak their mind about literally any issue they want (although if you’re interested, you’ll have to pre-register). Besides the information below, all kinds of side events will be happening including an Amateur Art Exhibits, Toddler Trot, pony rides, and much more. You’ll regret it if you miss the fair this year!
2019 Hometown Fair Details
- Music: 2019’s Manhattan Beach Hometown Fair will once again feature the annual Battle of the Bands, conveniently located at the Main Stage next to the crowd at the Beer Garden. Local amateur bands will battle for the title as well as a cash prize. The winners will be announced on stage following the conclusion of the battle Sunday morning.
- Live music continues on the main stage all weekend with bands like Druid and Company (60’s blue + rock & roll), Alinea, KD & JEtt and more!
- The South Stage, which is located next to the Joslyn Center, offers continuous entertainment from 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Sunday. In addition to the Mira Costa Band performance, which officially opens the fair, the Hyperion Outfall Serenaders Dixieland jazz will perform on the South Stage on Sunday. Entertainment will include music from soft country and blues to rock and roll.
- Food: The food selection is always amazing, and this year promises to satisfy your appetite. Booths will be selling items like hot dogs, corn dogs, hamburgers, tacos, fish tacos, pizza, BBQ, Polish sausage, teriyaki bowls, Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches, tri-tip, pulled pork, chicken on a stick and pepper bellies. Funnel cake, churros, caramel apples and much more will be out there too.
- Beer & Wine Garden: The highlight of the fair for many is the Beer Garden, which is located on Dorsey Field at the north end of the fairgrounds. The Beer Garden opens at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday, and sells beer tickets until 5:00 p.m., stops pouring beer at 5:30 p.m. and closes at 6:00 p.m. This year there will be a Wine Garden on the basketball courts from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. The Beer & Wine Gardens are staffed by local charities established for the benefit of Manhattan Beach youth. Chilling out with a cold beer on a large grassy field with a friendly crowd of locals is a great way to spend the day, and definitely one of the highlights of the fair.
Getting To and Around the Hometown Fair
- Parking: Ride a bike. If that’s not feasible, parking will be very limited unless you arrive at 6 a.m. with a pocket full of quarters. Complimentary bike & stroller valet located at the end of the Joslyn Center parking lot.
- Shuttle Service: Your best (and much more convenient) option is to use the FREE shuttle service. It is available all day Saturday and Sunday from an off-site parking lot at the southwest corner of Aviation and Space Park Dr. inside Northrup Grumman’s parking lot (see map). Follow the signs to the shuttle bus stop. Shuttle hours are 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Saturday and 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Sunday. The shuttle will run approximately every 15 minutes throughout each day.