This year Valentine’s Day attaches itself to the end of a weekend and will probably be a running theme through Friday and Saturday as well. For the uninitiated, Valentine’s Day is this Sunday, February 14th. A little preparation is key since reservations are crucial at most restaurants serving a special meal for that special someone. If you’re in dire need of a game plan that doesn’t sack your wallet, then click on over to our blog post and peruse a list of events and excursions that break away from the traditional table romance. Of course, there are dinner options at a range of South Bay eateries and we’ve compiled a list below in honor of love and capitalism.
South Bay Event’s List: Valentine’s Day Weekend Dining Options
- BALEENkitchen: Make someone feel deliciously special this Sunday by treating them to a Valentine’s Day celebration at BALEENkitchen complete with live music, a five-course dinner menu and open air views of the marina. Food highlights include Grilled Beef Tenderloin, Shrimp Scampi and a Chocolate Mousse Bomb! Wine complements are available for all courses. Click here to view the menu, BALEENkitchen is located at 260 Portofino Way in Redondo Beach. www.baleenkitchen
- A Basq Kitchen The newest eating house along Redondo Pier’s International Boardwalk, A Basq Kitchen, has a set menu for two available all week. Imbibe and dine as if you were in actual Basque Country this weekend. The menu for two includes: oysters, a cheese plate, Jamon wrapped dates stuffed with Blue Cheese, Seafood Brochette, Braised Beef Cheek Stew, Fancy Duck Confit or 2 Lamb Chops and Churros con Chocolate. Cost is $69 per couple. A Basq Kitchen is located at 136 N. International Boardwalk on the Redondo Pier. www.abasqkitchen.com
- Creme de la Crepe: Probably the most economical choice when you factor in quality and quantity. There are two Creme de la Crepe South Bay locations (Redondo Beach and Hermosa Beach) helping to spread out the Valentine’s Day crowd. Both locations will be serving a prix fixe “Saint Valentin Menu” that comes with your choice of dessert crepe, an appetizer and main entree; cost is $50 per person. Creme de la Crepe in Hermosa Beach is located at 424 Pier Avenue & the Redondo Beach location is at 1708 1/2 S. Catalina Avenue in Redondo Beach’s Riviera Village. www.cremedelacrepe.com
- H.T. Grill: Join H.T. Grill in Redondo Beach’s Riviera Village makes February 14th a day long celebration by offering brunch from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and dinner which starts around 4:00 p.m.. Reservations are preferred, so call ahead at (310) 791-4849. Cost is $30+ per person for brunch and $50+ for dinner. H.T. Grill is located at 1701 S Catalina Ave in Redondo Beach. www.htgrill.com
- Lido di Manhattan Enjoy a special Valentine’s Day 4 course dinner with optional wine pairing at Lido di Manhattan in Manhattan Beach. Love is in the Air Dinner features some live music with a jazz vocalist & pianist this Sunday February 14th. Lido di Manhattan is located at 1550 Rosecrans Avenue. www.lidodimanhattan.com
- Love & Salt Channel your inner Rat Pack and splash on a little Dean Martin Friday, Saturday & Sunday at Love & Salt in Manhattan Beach. They are cooking up a three-course “That’s Amore!” menu with Italian favorites like antipasto salad, eggplant parmesan, baked ziti and tiramisu. Cost is $45 per per son; regular menu also available. Love & Salt is located at 317 Manhattan Beach Blvd. in Manhattan Beach, (310) 545-5252. www.loveandsaltla.com
- Matisse Restaurant Inside the Ayres Hotel along the 405 Freeway in Hawthorne is a little gem that often gets dismissed because of its location. The Ayres Hotel has a sophisticated atmosphere and could be a quaint spot for romantic nosh. Matisee is serving up a 3-course pix fixe dinner this Saturday & Sunday and reservations are available between 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. Click here to view the menu; cost is $75 per person.
- Nelson’s Valentine’s Dinner at Terranea: The name Terranea should bring fear to your checking account but smiles to your eyes and taste buds. Mar’sel at Terranea hosts a prix-fixe menu priced at $145 per person with entrees like Grilled Swordfish, Seared Diver Scallops and Grass Fed Beef Tartare www.terranea.com/marsel. Nelson’s at Terranea presents a 3-course Blue Plate Special ($60) including Shrimp Cocktail for Two, Skirt Steak with Béarnaise Sauce & Oysters Rockefeller and a special Valentine Dessert. Both Mar’sel and Nelson’s are located on-site at Terranea Resort, 100 Terranea Way in Rancho Palos Verdes.
- Sausal Nuevo Rancho hotspot in El Segundo offers four “It Takes 2 to Tango” specials meant to be shared by couples. Selections include a seafood tapas platter and a rancho surf and turf plate. Tattinger Champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries will also be available. Sausal is located at 219 Main St. in El Segundo, (310) 322-2721 www.sausal.com
- The Strand House Executive Chef Greg prepares French inspired dishes to accompany an a la carte, brunch and dinner menus. The Strand House is located right next to the water in Manhattan Beach at 117 Manhattan Beach Blvd, (310)545.7470 www.strandhouse
- Zane’s In Downtown Hermosa Beach at the corner of Pier Avenue and Hermosa Avenue just in front of the pier sits a classic, stylish dining out spot that has put together two pre-set menus for Valentine’s Day. One option cost $40 and features Ciopinno as a main entree while the $55 menu lets guest select from either Filet Mignon or Chilean Sea Bass as a main. Fizzy drinks and martini specials available too. www.zanesrestaurant.com
- Zinc at Shade Hotel: Zinc at Shade Hotel will host a three course Valentine’s Day dinner this Saturday and Sunday. Executive Chef Chris Garasic will serve up a few decadent dishes with optional wine pairings available for an additional cost. Call (310)546-4995 to make a reservation. Zinc at Shade Hotel is located in Manhattan Beach, 1221 N Valley Drive. menu